Searching for How to Backup iPhone to External Hard Drive? Well, Smartphones these days have a lot of memory than they used to have a few years back. The iPhones are also no exception in this case. For example, a few years back the iPhone 6S used to have a base storage variant of just 16 GB. However, now, the iPhone 11 has a base storage of 64 GB which is a lot more than what we had before. Thanks to all these extra storage users can store a lot more photos, videos, and applications on their iPhone. But in case anything happens there is a possibility that you might lose all this precious data of yours. That’s why it is important to Backup iPhone to external hard drive.
You can backup your iPhone in two ways. Either you can synchronize all your data on to iCloud. Otherwise, you can your mac or Windows PC to take backup. Now, taking backup on iCloud could be a bit hectic if you have a slow internet connection. Uploading gigabytes of data on to the cloud will take a bit of time. Moreover, it will also take time to download the data from the cloud when you will restore the data. On the other hand, backing up on your PC or Mac and then restoring it from there should take much less time.
Backing up on your mac or pc could be faster but there is a problem as well. It will take a lot of storage on your mac and pc. Considering the base variants of Macbook Pro and Macbook Air comes with a lot less storage it can be a bit of a problem for many people. Obviously, there’s a workaround to this problem. You can backup the whole data on your hard disk drive. Below is how to backup your iPhone to an external hard disk drive.
How to Backup iPhone to External Hard Drive?
First things first. Get an external hard disk drive with enough available storage. Make sure it is formatted correctly so that everything works. If it is not formatted correctly then format it to APFS or Mac OS Extended formats. But before you go ahead, keep in mind that formatting your hard disk will erase all the content present in it.
- Once done open the drive and then create a folder with an easy to remember the name. You can use ‘iPhone backup’ or anything else that you want.
- Make sure that iTunes is closed. Now, open Finder and press Cmd + Shift + G. This will open Go To Folder. Next enter the following text:
- Now highlight the folder ‘Backup’ and press Cmd + C to copy it.
- Once done go back to your external hard disk drive. Open the folder you created (‘iPhone Backup’).
- Now press Cmd + V to paste everything you copied. This might take some time considering how big your iPhone backup is. Wait till it finishes.
- Once the process is complete go back and rename the original file (which we copied) in Finder (deleting the file could be risky).
Well, now all the previous iPhone backups are safe in the hard disk drive. However, to store any future backups into the hard disk we need to alter a few things.
Saving Future Backups into the Hard Drive
To do this, we will need to keep the hard disk plugged in while we backup our iPhone in the future. Moreover, we will have to make a few changes in iTunes so that everything goes according to the plan.
- First open Terminal, type the following command and hit return. (Replace ‘External’ with the name of your external hard drive. And the same applies to ‘iPhone backup’ in case you’ve given a different name to the folder in your external hard drive).
ln -s /Volumes/External/iPhoneBackup/Backup/ ~/Library/Application\ Support/MobileSync/Backup
- Well, that’s it.
To see if everything is working, close the Terminal and open Finder. Now find the folder ~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/ and there should be a shortcut icon the backup folder with an arrow.
To finally test everything, plug in your external hard disk drive as well as your iPhone. Now open iTunes and start the backup process. The new backup will be stored in the external hard disk and now you can safely delete the old (renamed) backup from your mac.
Not only photos and videos but the most important data in iPhone is your contacts which are very difficult to regain once lost. So we have shared a complete guide on How to Backup Contacts On iPhone in simple steps.
Wrapup on how to backup iPhone to External Hard Drive
We hope this trick will help you save some space on your Mac and we hope this article will help you backup iPhone to External Hard drive. In case you have any problems or questions feel free to drop a comment below. We will be happy to answer.