Are you looking for Other Storage on iPhone or Mac OS? Often when we try to install an app on an iPhone or Mac. We get a message which asks us to delete some free space in order to install an app on our device.
Then you go and connect your iPhone to a computer and check out the status via iTunes. And you notice that there is some Other storage which has occupied half of the space. So what is this Other Storage on iPhone or Mac?
Well just in case if you too have this question in your head. Then read on and we will tell you everything about it. Further, in this article, we will be talking about what is other Storage on Mac. Also, we will mention all the steps that you need to follow, in order to delete the Other Storage on iPhone and Mac. so let’s just head into the topic, without wasting much of the time.
What is Other Storage on iPhone and Mac?
What is Other Storage on iPhone?
The “other” storage in iPhone stands for such data files which can not be categorized under categories like Audio, Photos, Apps, Books and few others. So the question is what is actually other storage is?
Well, the other storage basically contains all the iOS device settings, the voice of Siri, cache files, web browsing history, System quality and a few other cache files.
Most of the other storage files basically generate when a user plays streams online audio or video files. Also, a user can not stop an iPhone to create such files.
What is Other Storage on Mac?
Just like the Other Storage on iPhone other storage on Mac is same. This simply stands for such files which do not fall under any specific category. Hence the unknown file types or unmatched category files stores under the other storage.
On Mac, the other storage file basically contains files like PDF, .psd, .doc and so on. It also contains the Mac OS X system and temporary files. Different cache files like user, browser, system cache. Disk images like .zip, .dmg and so on.
In short, you can say this section contains all the files that do not fall under the Mac OS X system category.
So now that you know about what is other storage. It is time to talk about the ways to delete the other storage files. In order to delete other storage here are all the steps that you need to follow:
How to Delete Other Storage on iPhone?
Well, there are two things that you can do to delete the other storage on iPhone. First of all, you can delete the unused apps. The other thing that can be done is to reset your iPhone.
How to delete unused apps?
- First of all, check the apps which you would like to delete. We often download too many apps and games on our devices. So check out the apps which you would like to delete.
- Then tap over the app until you do not get to see an X icon on the app top right corner.
- Then simply tap on the X icon and tap on the delete button.
- This way you will be able to free up some space on your device.
How to reset an iPhone?
Resetting an iPhone can also help you to clear other storage. As it will clear all the caches, browsing, and streaming histories. So in order to reset your iPhone, here are the steps that you have to follow:
- First of all, connect your iPhone to the iTunes and take a complete backup.
- After that go to the Settings
- Then go to the General
- Now select Reset
- In the end, tap on Erase All Content
- That is it, now your iPhone will wipe everything from the device.
- Once the process is done, simply connect your iPhone to iTunes and restore the backup.
So those were all the steps that you need to follow. Anyway, let’s just move to the second section, where we will be discussing about the steps which will help you to clear other storage on your Mac computer:
How to Delete Other Storage on Mac?
Well, there are a couple of ways to delete the other storage. You can not select everything at once and hit the delete button. Instead, there is a step by step method. Anyway to make you understand better here is the guide:
How to remove cached files on Mac:
As we have mentioned that the cache files also falls under the other storage section. So you can consider deleting these files.
- At first, click on your desktop and select the Finder from the dock.
- Then select the Go menu and go to the folder.
- Over here you have to type ~/Library/caches.
- Now select the app folder that you wish you to delete.
- Right click on the folder and select Move to Trash.
How to remove downloaded files:
- At first, go to the Go Menu from the find icon.
- Then click on the Downloads Folder.
- Look for the files that you wish to delete.
- Then right click on it and select Move to Trash.
How to delete old device backups in iTunes:
If you have creates some iOS device backup and you do not need the backup anymore. Then you can clear it as well. Each backup eats more than 4 or 5B space, so deleting them would be a wise move. Anyway here is the way to delete old device backup.
- At first open iTunes
- Then click on the preference.
- After that, you have to select Devices.
- Select the backup that you want to delete. If you have recent backups, then consider not delete it.
- In the end, select the Delete button and you are good to go.
So these are some of the common steps that you need to follow, in order to delete the other storage on Mac. You can also check for some unnecessary PDF files, application extensions and delete them to free up some space on your Mac.
So those were all the steps that you have to follow. Now go ahead and check out how it is working for you. Also if you have any further questions, then do comment below and we will surely help you out.